Transport Planning Officer – Major Development Applications
We have a fantastic opportunity in Somerset within our Highways Development Management team. We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic person to take a lead role in accelerating the planning process for major housing developments in Taunton, one of the Government’s ten new Garden Towns. We offer both a flexible working environment and flexible working hours. Our busy team provides highways and transport advice on a variety of planning applications across the county, working with developers to find solutions which unlock new housing and economic development and negotiating legal agreements to secure improvements to our highway and transport networks. We are passionate and committed to transforming our communities by enabling high quality development which is safe and accessible; working to create desirable places for people to live and work as part of Somerset’s ambitious growth plans, from small development sites though to major enterprise zones and extensions to our main towns including Taunton’s new garden communities. Somerset provides fantastic opportunities to become engaged in some of the most ambitious growth projects in the Country.
About the job
You would have your own caseload of major development proposals across the Taunton Garden Community, as the lead officer providing advice about the highways and transport implications to planning authorities, developers, agents, consultants and elected politicians. The range of development proposals that you will consider is diverse and includes three major mixed use urban extensions which together will deliver approximately 8000 new homes and new roads, transport schemes, schools and other community facilities; currently progressing through planning applications and associated agreements. You will also be involved in major town centre regeneration proposals. An ambitious Housing Infrastructure Fund package is also being progressed to forward fund much of the essential infrastructure to enable development. The range of opportunities is both challenging and rewarding. Whilst work will initially be focused in Taunton, in the longer-term the role provides the opportunity to get involved in some of the UK’s most high-profile growth initiatives including enterprise zones, and national infrastructure projects such as Hinkley Point C. Day to day activity will involve:
- Providing pre-application advice to developers when plans are at an early stage.
- Visiting sites to gain a clear understanding of the implications of new development and possible solutions.
- Agreeing the scope of technical assessments that developers need to undertake to assess the impacts of new development.
- Agreeing changes to highways and transport networks needed to accommodate new development, including new major road and public transport infrastructure solutions.
- Providing formal observations on planning applications.
- Representing the Highway Authority in planning appeals and planning examinations/ inquiries.
- Forming legal agreements with developers to secure planning obligations and financial contributions necessary to enable development to take place.
- Communicating and engaging with communities and individuals affected by proposals.
- Engaging and building relationships with a range of parties including planning authorities, applicants, developers, agents, consultants and legal advisors.
Educated to degree level or equivalent through relevant professional development. Experience of working in the planning system preferably with experience in dealing with highways and transportation matters. Ability to understand maps and plans, and assimilate information from technical reports. An understanding of relevant policies, procedures and technical guidance (for instance on highway access and layout). Ability to assess the implications of proposals and work with people to develop appropriate solutions (for example to ensure that access arrangements are safe and appropriate). Ability to prepare observations and communicate them clearly and unambiguously in writing and verbally to a range of audiences. Ability to manage multiple cases concurrently work according to set deadlines for providing observations and comments.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do. We offer great development opportunities, with supportive management. We have a fantastic benefits package which includes; generous annual leave entitlement (with the opportunity to purchase more), relocation support, staff benefits scheme with great discounts, a local government pension scheme and much more. We are able to offer flexible working arrangements, including some working from home and part time hours. If you would like to find out more about before applying, please get in touch with Mike O’Dowd Jones on 07977 412097 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. We offer an excellent benefits package to all of our employees including:
- A Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Discounted lease car via salary sacrifice scheme and options for discounts on petrol or diesel.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and so forth.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, childcare vouchers, additional annual leave, computers, mobile phones and health screening.
- Generous annual leave and flexible working arrangements.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance and support offering a variety of employee wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle.
- Optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
37 hours per week
Apply online at https://secure1.somerset.gov.uk/careers/details.html?jobId=315
Job ref no: APP00253/AMB
Closing date: 03 September 2018 Interview date: 10 September 2018