Commissioner for Passenger Transport Services
Economic & Community Infrastructure Commissioning
Strategic Commissioning Highways & Transport
Taunton, TA1 4DY
Commissioner for Passenger Transport Services
Salary: £45,216 per annum
37 hours per week
Our busy team commissions all highways and transport services for Somerset including passenger transport and parking services, highway maintenance, infrastructure programmes, rights of way, traffic management, engineering and road safety programmes. We are responsible for developing policy and strategy, new transport plans and programmes for towns and transport corridors, transformation and financial savings proposals, bids and business cases for new funding; and determining the most appropriate means of service delivery (considering in-house or contracted services including developing procurement strategies). We work closely with the Council’s operational services who are responsible for delivery.
We are passionate and committed to transforming our communities by enabling housing and economic growth in the area; developing effective transport solutions, securing investment in new infrastructure and developing innovative approaches to urban and rural transport challenges. We work hard to create desirable places for people to live and work as part of Somerset’s ambitious growth plans which include major enterprise zones and extensions to our main towns including Taunton’s new garden communities. Somerset provides fantastic opportunities to become engaged in some of the most ambitious growth projects in the Country, as well as tackling challenging problems associated with rural accessibility.
About the job
You would be responsible for the development of long-term policy, strategy, plans and programmes for passenger transport including public, community and voluntary transport, park and ride, concessionary fares and access to transport information.
You would advise on the requirements and implications of directives and central government thinking (e.g. implications of devolution, bus partnerships and franchising), and seek to develop innovative models of service provision to take advantage of new technologies and maximise the opportunity for commercial and community-based transport solutions, and improved integration between transport services.
You would work closely with colleagues working on infrastructure plans for towns, corridors and major housing developments to create effective passenger transport solutions; and prepare bids for passenger transport project funding. You would oversee the implementation of Somerset’s ‘Total Transport’ web portal which is a ‘one-stop shop’ for finding and booking transport for a wide range of purposes.
You would devise, consult on and agree strategic changes to the passenger transport network, balancing the need for efficiencies and cost savings with statutory requirements, including agreeing procurement strategy for services supported by the Council. You would work closely with colleagues responsible for education, social care and health services to develop and implement transport transformation programmes, challenging existing ways of working and influencing change where necessary.
• Educated to degree level or equivalent through relevant professional development.
• Substantial managerial experience and skills gained at a senior level, including making a contribution to the corporate management of an organisation where required.
• Experience in planning and delivering passenger transport solutions.
• Demonstrable experience of partnership working including the ability to influence and, where appropriate, lead multi-agency groups and projects to deliver services and initiatives.
• Change management experience.
• Demonstrable experience of engagement with communities and customer feedback channels to shape and inform improved customer services.
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do. We offer great development opportunities, with supportive management. We have a fantastic benefits package which includes; generous annual leave entitlement (with the opportunity to purchase more), relocation support, staff benefits scheme with great discounts, a local government pension scheme and much more.
We are able to offer flexible working arrangements, including some working from home and part time hours.
If you would like to find out more about before applying, please get in touch with Mike O’Dowd Jones on 07977 412097 or email email@example.com
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. We offer an excellent benefits package to all of our employees including:
- A Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Discounted lease car via salary sacrifice scheme and options for discounts on petrol or diesel.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and so forth.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, childcare vouchers, additional annual leave, computers, mobile phones and health screening.
- Generous annual leave and flexible working arrangements.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance and support offering a variety of employee wellbeing services to support a healthy work/life balance and lifestyle.
- Optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
Apply online at https://secure1.somerset.gov.uk/careers/details.html?jobId=312
Job ref no: APP00252.AMB
Closing date: 03 September 2018
Interview date: 10 September 2018