Senior Traffic Signals Engineer
The traffic signals team deliver new traffic signals schemes across Bristol as well as modifying existing sites, maintaining existing sites and controlling the network through the Bristol Operations Centre.
The successful applicant will be based in the design team working on new traffic signal installations, schemes for developers and improving existing sites.
Our focus is providing good facilities for sustainable transport modes such as walking, cycling and public transport whilst also trying to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow.
Recently completed projects include the Bristol section of the new South Bristol link road and reconfiguration of Bristol city centre with on-going schemes such as Temple Circus and a very full refurbishment programme.
The work is a mixture of office based design and analysis and site based contractor management and scheme delivery.
The successful applicant will have the following experience and attributes in addition to those specified in the person specification:
• A sound knowledge of how to use and interrogate modelling systems, in particular Linsig
• Experience in writing TR2500 controller specifications, testing controller configurations (Factory Acceptance Tests) and site commissioning’s (Site Acceptance Tests)
• A varied portfolio of traffic signal schemes they have designed, delivered and maintained
• A sound knowledge of current design standards such as:
o Local Transport Note (01/95, 02/95, 01/09, 02/03) - Traffic Advisory Leaflet (01/06 , 05/05)
o Design manual for roads and Bridges (volume 6 - TD 9/9 and TD 50/04 and volume 8) - Traffic Signs Regulations & General
o Directions 2016
o Traffic Signs Manual (Chapters 5 and 7)
• Excellent CAD skills and experience
• Awareness of the operation of transport and highway networks
• Project Management experience, especially managing budgets and programmes
The main duties of the post will be as follows:
• Redesign and refurbishment of existing traffic signal sites
• Designing new traffic signal sites and junctions
• Assisting other Bristol City Council teams with the delivery of transport schemes and projects
• Other relevant activities as required by either Line of Team Manager.
The successful applicant will be provided with any required training both through internal mentoring and external training courses. The post is part of Bristol City Council’s career progression scheme.
This is a senior post and salary will be dependent on experience based on the Person Specification. Appointment at the lower grade will allow progress to the higher grade on demonstration of meeting the higher specification.
We are looking for someone with enthusiasm, creativity, vision and good communication skills to add to the wealth of experience and enthusiasm already within the Traffic Signals team.
To apply please visit our jobs page www.bristol.gov.uk/jobs
Closing date: 22 July 2018.